November 17, 1911 is a day that will have an everlasting impact on millions of people each year. This day marked the creation of an organization that has, is, and will contribute enormously to the advancement and development of many great people. It all started in the Science Hall of Howard University. Edgar A. Love, Oscar J. Cooper, and Frank Coleman gave birth to Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. These three students under the watchful eye of Professor Ernest E. Just initiated Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning “friendship is essential to the soul,” the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. The phrase was selected as the motto.MANHOOD, SCHOLARSHIP, PERSEVERANCE and UPLIFT were adopted as cardinal principles. A decision was made regarding the design for the pin and emblem, and thus ended the first meeting of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. On December 15, 1911, Alpha Chapter was organized.
In 1949, the first National Headquarters Building at 107 Rhode Island Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. was purchased. In 1964, the new National Headquarters Building was dedicated. The building was a dream come true and was the first building of its type to be built by a black fraternity. Founders Love, Cooper and Coleman participated in the ceremonies. The name was later changed to the International Headquarters. It is located at 2714 Georgia Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001. November 16, 1975, an impressive granite monument was dedicated to the memory of the four founders. The monument is just a few feet away from Thirkield Hall, the site of Omega’s birth place on the Howard University Campus.